According to the Environmental Protection Agency, each individual produces about four pounds of hazardous waste in a single 12 month period. While most people only associate hazardous waste with businesses and industrial settings, with statistics like this, it is plain to see that even regular households have some concerns. The problem lies in the fact that many residents have no idea that some of the things they toss in their trash are considered hazardous waste. Here are five regular household items you should not be hauling out to the curb with your regular trash.
1. Batteries - Batteries contain components like lithium and acids, which do not belong in the trash. Whether it is a small button-cell battery from your watch or the rechargeable batteries from your remote, these should be properly disposed of once they are depleted. Take your batteries to a local recycling center or look up a battery recycler online who accepts recycled batteries through the mail.
2. Cosmetics - Cosmetics can be anything from the hairspray you use on your hair to the makeup you apply to your face, and even these products can contain hazardous ingredients. Flammable agents, dyes, and even lead are all examples of things that can be found in some cosmetics. Check with your local recycling agent to find out which cosmetics can be recycled or disposed of there.
3. Household Pest Products - Bug spray, rat poison, and fogger containers are all examples of things that may come from your household. All of these items contain toxic chemicals, and, therefore, their containers should be handled with care and properly recycled.
4. Nail Polish and Nail Polish Remover - Nail polish is technically enamel-based paint, which can contain harmful ingredients. Nail polish remover is known as a flammable material, often containing acetone. So these are two items that should not be placed in the trash along with your regular items. Look for the nearest hazardous waste management center near you and drop off these items for proper disposal.
5. Hair Dye - That half empty bottle of hair dye you would normally throw in the trash could be considered hazardous waste. Some of these contain chemical compounds and phthalates that are not safe for the environment and could even be hazardous to you if not used properly. Make sure you dispose of your hair dye containers only according to the manufacturer's instructions on the package.Share